Friday, January 29, 2010

Jane H. gets her propers


Check out this lovely review that my friend, singer Jane Harvey, just received from jazz crit Will Friedwald:

"When I first heard the original edition of Jane Harvey's THE OTHER SIDE OF SONDHEIM in 1988, it was one of the original things that got to me love Sondheim's music to begin with. Jane was the first to show that even the songs from FOLLIES, SWEENEY TODD, NIGHT MUSIC and his other mature masterpieces could actually swing in the same tradition as the great theater songs of Richard Rodgers or Jule Styne, and that even though the songs are seamlessly woven into the narrative fabric of these shows, that they can still stand on their own in highly intimate, jazz-inspired interpretations. The new edition of this album - one of my favorites of the last 25 years - adds songs, improves on mixes, offers a whole new vocal on "Send in the Clowns" and in general makes a good thing even better."

I couldn't agree more.

available at CDBaby.com/harveyjane

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news. I believe CD Baby is "artist based" and not "label based". That is, I do not think they are carrying any other SSJ releases, at least I could not find any. Bill, if it is possible for CD Baby to carry the full line or at least a good batch of SSJ, might you be able to facilitate that and let us know if it happens?

Bill Reed said...

Selling at these prices undercuts SSJ's Japanese price. In the case of Jane Harvey and Carole Simpson on CD Baby, however, Mr. Yasuo Sangu of SSJ, has made a generous exception