Saturday, June 20, 2009

HOLD IT! I THINK YOU'RE GONNA LIKE THIS PICTURE
























____________
To give you an idea of just how much faith Capitol Records had in this singer-pianist when they signed her in 1957, note that the glamour shots were all taken by no less than THE Bruno of Hollywood. Alas, shortly after the last shutter on the session was snapped, Simpson opted for marriage over career, thus most of these shots have not been seen before. . .until now. I came into possession of them when Carole supplied them to me for use on the cover of her new SSJ album "Live" (and otherwise). Here is the photo the label finally decided on: a shot of Simpson looking (to my eyes) remarkably like Academy Award-winning actress Dorothy Malone.

2 comments:

Jeroen said...

Wow! What a stunning photographs...
Now that I've heard on cdbaby.com some of the tracks of Miss Simpson's new release, I'm totally convinced (as if that was necessary?!?) to order it!
I wish her all the best, and hope that their will follow more new releases under her name!
Any chance SSJ will reissue her Singin' & Swingin' album from 1960?
Cdbaby also mentions that the tracks are selected from Miss Simpson's own extensive personal archive. Does it mean that there is (a lot) more to come?

Jeroen

MrsHenryWindleVale said...

Dorothy Malone, yes. The last one, the one with the microphone, also makes me think of Eve Arden. Something about the expression, the style of make-up?