Friday, June 30, 2006

Job Wanted

I recently completed on specccch a long profile of the great---I hasten to invoke a term I seldom use, "legendary"---musician, Page Cavanaugh. Here's the final paragraph:

“'We got some recognition," say Page. "We always had good press, especially in New York because we always made sure to have good press agents. One of them got me a quote from Walter Winchell: ‘The greatest thing to hit town since kissing.’ And boy, that made it all over the United States. He pauses a beat, then adds, “You know, the coming of rock and roll never affected me that much. I continued to play the little clubs, sometimes the big clubs. The trio could play ourselves east, play ourselves home.” In the final analysis, that probably is all that really mattered to Cavanaugh. And he did it all without resorting to the regulation Tip Jar, a “tool” of the lounge trade. Plus, he won’t play Andrew Lloyd Webber no matter how much you might offer him to do so. In other words, he’s one classy guy."

And the first paragraph of the story, consisting of an anecdote from Cavanaugh about his (again, that word) legendary manager Bullets Durgom, is a classique show biz story for the ages. In between, I attempt to chronicle at least the highlights of Page's more than six decades in "the biz."

Most of the writing I do these days is for this blog and---you should pardon the expression---for free. However, in the instance of this piece, does anyone happen to know of a magazine or newspaper, on-line or otherwise, that might be interested in throwing a handful of shekels my way in exchange for publishing this? (If advertising for a job was good enough for mid-career Bette Davis, it's good enough for me.)
___________________________
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RUTH OLAY!

No comments: